Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Some other stuff..

Wow. I keep saying it, but school is keeping me  really really busy.. And now that we are entering wedding season Ive been working a lot more too. I hardly have time to dive, take pictures, write posts or anything. As always, I find time to go diving when I really need to, but haven't been keeping records of my findings.
There are several buildings being gutted in a shopping center that I frequent and I've found some pretty interesting things in their dumps. Here are some more pictures of the cool stuff Ive been finding lately.

We found some of everything that night; candles, clothes, candy, produce, drinks, medicne, toys, cosmetics, cleaning supplies..
Lots and lots of milk. I heard that you can freeze milk. Since most of this didn't expire for a couple more weeks, I tried freezing some. It turned yellowish and gross and the chocolate milk looked black when it froze, but they turned back to normal milk upon thawing out. Success!
Lots of cookies and crackers and stuff from a pharmacy. This is what was left over after I took a bag full of stuff to share at work and gave another bag of stuff to a friend.
All the boxes of shrimp had been sliced with a razor so that the box and bag inside containing the shrimp were opened, but everything was still frozen solid when I found it, so I just tossed it all back in the freezer. I have no worries about any of it being unsafe to eat. I had just run out of sugar and needed more, so I was glad to find 10lbs that night. The razors were also a good find.
This is the kind of gross stuff you run in to on occasion.. a whole cow tongue. This is also why I always wear gloves and keep an assortment of sanitizing products in my car at all times. When I was in Japan I ate raw cow tongue, which was actually really delicious, but I had no desire to give this slimy one a try.. I don't recall finding anything of value that particular time.
Tons of really expensive imported cheese. Yum.
I had to visit the bank one Saturday morning and the only one open was inside a big ass super market. I had to bring my camera along. These carts full of easter or spring themed stuff have most likely long since been stuffed in their compactor.
I found this beautiful wooden full length mirror in the bin behind the shops that are being re-modeled. I expected the glass to be shattered when I dug it out, but was thrilled to find it intact! I also found those awesome speakers long ago.
Apparently one of the shops was a wig shop; besides the mirror, there were several styrofoam heads that will make a rad art project or something, as well as a brand new wig.
This is gonna be fun..
This was also behind the shops. You can't see that well, but it is illuminated from behind.
I re-framed one of my works in the light board and was shocked to see the amazing different images that show through when the light is on. One might think I planned it that way if they didn't know any better.. Unfortunately, the details are hard to see in these images.

On a side note, my friend informed me that the pr rating of the blog has gone from 1 to 3 on a scale from 0-10. Im not entirely sure what it all means, but apparently it means that lots of people like to read about what I do! So thank you, loyal readers. Thank you for your time and interest. I hope that you all can learn something form my misadventures and that you are inspired to explore the boundaries and rules for how to function in society. 
I learned an important life lesson this semester. It can't be applied to everything, but is a very important rule of thumb(for me).

Don't ever do anything just because you are told you need to or you should. Do things because you want to do them. Do things the way you want to do them. Live your life the way you see fit, not the way anyone else tells you it has to be or should be done.

3 comments:

  1. What I wouldn't give for that mirror. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, I really like Ur style! Saludos from Mexico city...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to dumpster dive! I found about 20 or 30 gallons of milk, still cold. I figured I could only get 6 in the refrigerator. Those were share with friends. There was at least 100 lbs of rock-hard, frozen meat. And the temp had been well below freezing all day. It was about 15 degrees, so I feared nothing. I shared with friends.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails