Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

New dives

Yesterday I decided to continue cleaning out my fridge and cabinets by making more food. surprise, surprise! I have been trying to clear out the fridge because things keep getting pushed to the back or stuck in the freezer. I have been wanting to clean out my kitchen and start over again with fresh stuff from the dumpsters, so Ive been getting creative and making new foods again. So.. here are a few recipes I made up over the last couple days:

Pizza Pitas

Pita pockets
spaghetti sauce
cheese

I used some mini pockets I have had in the freezer for these. I mixed together some grated mild cheddar and parmesean, and pulled apart some whole milk mozzarella that had started to grow some mold. (BTW cheese keeps forever.. almost. If there is mold on it you can simply wash it off! or cut it off if you're really sketched out by mold..) To this cheese blend, i mixed in some italian herbs and chili powder. I stuffed the pockets with cheese, spooned some sauce in, and stuck em in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes. Very simple.. guess i didnt really "make up" the recipe, but ive never made them and they turned out well. Great snack for entertaining...

Ginger-Mango-Pear-Pineapple Pie

I LOVE to make pies. Over the winter I discovered an incredibly easy and versatile recipe for fruit pies and I have made some really great ones since then. This one will go in my recipe box because it turned out delicious!

Pie Crust Dough
2 cups flour
6 oz butter(cold)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup water(ice cold)

Sift flour, salt and baking powder. Cut butter in cubes and add to flour mix. add water slowly as you blend ingredients. Its very important to not add too much water or to over work the dough. As you mix them, fold the dough over and spread it out, fold it over and spread it out, so it creates many layers. When it looks like pie crust dough, youre done. wrap it up and keep it cold at all times. You can keep it in the freezer until you need to use it another time. ( It took me many, many tries to get this right, so dont get discouraged if it doesnt turn out perfect the first time.)

Pie filling
3 mangoes
1 asian pear
1 can crushed pineapple
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground ginger
tiny sprinkle of cinnoman and nutmeg

Roll out part of the dough, form it in to a buttered pie dish, and pour in the mix. Roll out a pie top, crimp the overlaying edges together, and cut slits in the top for hot air to escape. I like to put an egg wash or something on the top so it gets golden and shiny, but its not necessary. Put it an a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes til crust and top have browned and filling is bubbling. Let cool for 20 minutes befor cutting. Mmmmmm...



I have gone to many dumpsters in my day, but for some reason I always stick to the grocery stores for getting what I need. I guess that since Ive been running out of things like soap and shampoo, Ive been realizing the need to expand my diving territory. I have been checking pharmacies lately and have found that they have almost as much valuable stuff in their trash as any grocery store. It makes me wonder what other kinds of stores have great dumps that I have not considered yet.. Im gonna have to start thinking bigger, checking more places out to see what they have. I learned last night that there is nearly nothing that cant be found in dumpsters.. you just have to be patient and look hard.

Last night's findings include:

12 pouches honey roasted cashews
1 can dark chocolate covered jumbo cashews
2 packages cappuccino almond cookies
1 bottle moisturizing lotion
1 compact eye shadow
1 pack elastic headbands
1 5x7 picture frame
1 package woman's underwear(adult diapers)
1 box keytone care test strips
left handed titanium driver
giant wooden porch umbrella

I also stumbled across the pharmacy's trash bag containing all the discarded pill bottles and such, where I was able to recover a few items.. but i wont get in to too much detail about it, as it is probably highly illegal!
Since I have been finding far more stuff lately than I or my friends could ever use, it has been suggested that I bring my left overs to organizations like Food Not Bombs or a food bank. I think its a great idea and will have to talk to some people in the community to find out more about where I can help the most by donating my findings. Anyone have ideas? Let me know!!
Everything that I cant donate will end up on craigslist for free or at my yard sale whenever it happens. If ever you want something on the list, let me know! Ill probably give it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails