Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Food Galore

Today was such a lovely day that I decided to host a cook out tonight. I invited a bunch of people over and I cooked most of what was left in my fridge. I tried to use the food that was older; stuff that has been frozen for a couple weeks and vegetables that needed to be used. We grilled chicken and some turkey hot dogs as well as a veggie pack that I made last week with red potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, red, white, and sweet onions. I also cooked two pasta dishes and one of my favorite dishes ever, which we will call Tomat. You can find a recipe below. I recently found a recipe that a friend sent me for dandelion cordial, which requires dandelion syrup. Fortunately, I made a batch last week before the weather turned... You just mix some of the syrup in to a glass of water for a light refreshing tea like beverage with a unique floral flavor. Needless to say, everything was delicious. Hopefully, I will be hosting these dinners each week for the rest of the summer. you will just have to keep in touch to find out when the come up.

Tomat

I start with a hot skillet and add some olive oil. Add minced garlic and roast it while you halve a couple tomatoes. Put the tomatoes face down in the garlic oil and cover them for about five or ten minutes while they cook on medium-low heat. While they cook, slice thin pieces of bread and toast them in the oven at about 325°. You can put some olive oil and spices on them if you want, but with the spices in the tomat, its not completely nessecary. After a bit, the skins of the tomato will shough off easily, so remove them once the tomatoes are soft, then crack one egg per tomato into the center of the pan and sprinkle salt, pepper, basil, and whatever else you want on top. Cover it for a few more minutes until the egg is mostly cooked. Once its done, break up the tomato and egg and sop it up with the crusty bread.
This is a dish that my grandfather taught my dad to make and my dad taught my mom and my mom has made it for us(kids) for years. I like it because it seems so refined but is so simple and delicious to make for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails