Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

Cheesus Christ!




This dump was like unwrapping layers of presents; produce and flowers on top, then boxes of crackers and dried fruit, then containers of cole slaw, potato salad and tuna salad, then layers of cheeses, ham, salamis and other deli meats and finally, plants! What fun!  






Well its all been tallied up and Ill be damned if I didn't find most of my wish list. I only went to one grocery store and a retail place. Heres what I brought home:








8oz deep fried cajun sliced turkey breast
2 1lb bags sliced brown sugar ham
3 10oz pkgs Sara Lee sliced deli meats
1lb pkg sliced honey ham
7 4oz pks sliced hard salami
3 pks Genoa salami
4 pks pepperoni
3 8oz pkgs sliced Muenster cheese
3 pks Colby Jack
6 pks Baby Swiss
6 pks Smoked Provolone
5 pks Aged Swiss
4 10oz containers snack mix
3 12oz containers dried fruit mix
4lb bag sugar
5lb bag red potatoes
1lb bag frozen gnocci
2lbs butter
2 pkgs wonton wraps
3 heads organic green leaf lettuce
2 heads organic red leaf lettuce
3 bunches organic spinach
2 boxes baby organic mixed greens and herbs
2 bell peppers
1 pear
1 grapefruit
1 cantiloupe
3lb bag clementines
2 bunches radishes 
1 organic cabbage
2 bunches celery
2 bags cipolline onions
8 white and yellow onions
1 cucumber
6oz pkg sliced portabella mushrooms
1 bunch green onions
1 box brussel sprouts
1qt veg oil blend
3 boxes Veggie Tales fruit snacks
64oz bottle mystery juice.. apple? 
1 Superfoods Naked smoothie
1.5l. bottle laundry detergent
box trash bags
2 spathiphyllum
1 other house plant I cant recall the name of
office chair
2 picture frames







None of the meat or cheese I looked at was expired yet.. Its too bad I didn't check till I got home; I left a whole lot behind as you can see in the pictures. While writing this, I considered going back to collect the rest to put in the freezer but decided against it, as I have filled most of the house with stuff already and I don't even eat much meat anyway.. So I thought about getting it to take to a shelter or something.. but then I remembered school started this week and I will never ever actually make it there to drop anything off.






So now lets take a look back at the list I made before going out tonight and see how it matches up with the one made of what I found.





Flour............................................no flour, but I found sugar!
Naked smoothie drinks.......................check! And its my favorite, next to mango that is.
Brie, parmesean or another nice cheese.....no brie or parmesean, but just about every other kind!
Butter..........................................check! They came in the most adorable little mini sticks too!
Cream or half and half.......................not this time..
Eggs............................................nope

baby organic spinach.........................organic spinach+organic baby greens=good enough
shallots.........................................2 bags of cipolline onions will do!
balsamic vinegar.............................. nope

Ginger..........................................nada
Garlic...........................................onions galore, but no fresh garlic


Earlier today I realized I would need trash bags soon, my sister asked me to look for plants for her new apt., Ive been needing a good office chair for a while and I was also thinking about frying some the wonton wraps I have to make chips earlier today, but they were all dried out.. now i've got lots of fresh ones!



Im still amazed by how much stuff there always is and that I can usually find whatever I feel like at the moment. Im certain that I could have found the rest of the item if I had gone to another store or two.. 
I have recently found some other freegan and dumpster diving blogs, so Im excited to read them and see what others' experiences are like. One really cool one I found is about a girl's adventures in LA. Her stories about scaling walls and climbing under fences to get to the goods makes me feel awfully vanilla.. Her adventures make mine sound like a walk through the park. on the sidewalk... You can read her stuff at http://funkypunkyg.blogspot.com/.




1 comment:

  1. WOW!! You really hit the motherload. I'm loving the recipes, please post more of them. Thanks so much for your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails