Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dinner preparations

Yesterday one of my friends hosted a belated Christmas dinner to which I was invited along with several of her other friends. She called me the day before asking if she could come over to borrow a dish. Since she lives near one of the better grocery stores that I go to, I offered to bring the dish by her house and invited her to join me on my dive since she had previously shown a lot of interest in one day joining me. She accepted my offer, so later that night we went to several places for her first time dumpster diving. I kind of wanted to get it over with because it had started snowing earlier and had since started turning into rain. After we finished up at the grocery store, we went to a pharmacy but didn't find anything. We stopped at her house to unload the stuff and she convinced me to make another trip out to a different grocery store and pharmacy. She was pretty excited about how well it went and I had a lingering spark of adventure left over so it really didn't take that much convincing at all.. We were much more successful on our second run and were able to fill the trunk with lots of stuff from the pharmacy; stuff that would've been wasted if I hadn't salvaged it, as I am now starting to think of it. One of the dumpsters we came across was completely filled with plastic hangers. I took a few to hang in my new armoire. In the end, we got another huge load of stuff; lots of good stuff for the christmas dinner, too! I didn't count anything my friend kept, but here's what I ended up with:

4 boxes Cheeseits
12 boxes instant oatmeal
whole roast chicken
8pc fried chicken
2 8oz chicken alfredo pasta dishes
3 8oz boxes dried cranberries
1 bag turnip and mustard greens
2 heads romaine lettuce
1 head organic cauliflower
5 pre-made chef salad bowls
3 bell peppers
3 poblano peppers
2 jalapanos
2 cherry peppers
3 yellow squash
1 cucumber
4 potatoes
1 sweet potato
10 tomatoes
3 loaves Italian bread
1 bag sub rolls
2 boxes croissants
whole lemon pound cake
2 apple pies
35 bottles assorted flavors sparkling water
5 loaves honey wheat bread
2 loaves white bread
3 bags rolls
32oz jar grape jelly












No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails